Table of Contents
Surroundings play a significant role in how productive and happy workers are.
If an office layout is poorly designed or has other issues, workers may be unable to focus and finish their tasks in a timely manner.
Fortunately, research shows there are steps every business owner can take to make workspaces operate at maximum efficiency and keep employees’ brains functioning at maximum capacity.
Companies want to create an atmosphere where workers can thrive. Fortunately, fixing many of the distractions and drawbacks in a traditional office is fairly simple.
1. Improve Noise Levels
Some people can tune out noise and focus on the task at hand. Others feel distracted and unable to focus.
The National Institutes of Health reports that noise can increase alertness. The person’s attention then goes to the source of the sound rather than to the task in front of them.
Some things you can do to reduce noise levels include:
- Allowing employees to wear noise-canceling headphones.
- Installing sound barriers such as floor-to-ceiling cubicles or pods with doors.
- Creating quiet spaces where people can go to focus on an important project.
- Adding soft items to the interior of the building such as rugs, carpet, wall hangings, and noise-dampening ceiling panels.
Small changes can make a big difference in noise reduction, so start small and improve noise levels as you go.
2. Add suitable Light
Both natural and artificial light impact employee health and well-being. Light does everything from controlling the human body’s circadian rhythm to helping reduce depression. Studies show that people with bipolar or seasonal affective disorder improve when exposed to bright light.
Poor lighting can lead to eye strain, lethargy, and lower productivity. Improved lighting improves concentration and regulates sleep.
3. Watch Air Quality
Of the many factors impacting employee performance and health, air quality is often a silent productivity killer no one notices. The average person spends most of their time indoors. A green building with more outside air and filtering results in higher cognition scores.
You can improve air quality with a few tweaks to your building.
- Opening windows if the outdoor air quality is okay.
- Running HVAC with high-quality filters.
- Maintaining air quality systems with regular checks and repairs.
When workers have trouble breathing, it’s hard to focus on the task at hand. Incidences of illness will rise and cause people to take unexpected time off. Air quality and other factors play a big role in the health of your building and your staff.
4. Embrace Ergonomics
One little-known area for improving the workplace and employee performance is ergonomics. Sitting in front of computers and mobile devices for much of the day can result in musculoskeletal disorders and cause poor posture, resulting in back problems and neck issues.
It’s difficult to focus when you’re in pain.
Fortunately, your company can focus on a few ergonomic factors to improve the issue.
- Investing in standing desks as an option to move around when one position is uncomfortable.
- Preventing carpal tunnel syndrome with the use of mouse pads and keyboard buffers.
- Considering the flooring under a worker’s feet and if it offers enough support.
Small changes make a more pleasant workplace experience and prevent injuries from ongoing poor posture or overuse.
Improve Employees Focus
When employers make a few changes to improve the office space, they also tap into the power of increased focus and mental clarity. Start with one or two fixes, and talk to your employees about which ones are helpful and which are not.
With a bit of effort, you’ll have an office that thrives with productivity and happy employees.
Eleanor Hecks is the managing editor of Designerly. She’s also a mobile app designer with a focus on UI. She lives in Philadelphia with her husband and Goldendoodles, Bear, and Lucy. Connect with her about marketing, UX, and/or tea on LinkedIn.
- Blogger by Passion | Contributor to many Business Blogs in the United Kingdom | Fascinated to Write Blogs in Business & Startup Niches
- BusinessNovember 28, 2023Stay Warm and Safe: Must-Have Workwear Essentials for Cold Weather at the Construction Site
- BusinessNovember 23, 2023How to Boost Your Business Online Sales with Amazon
- Must Read NewsNovember 9, 20236 Game-changing Technological Advances Discovered by Accident Uncovered
- Must Read NewsNovember 9, 2023Navigating Weather Challenges with Durable Fence Panels for long-lasting Property Protection